Wednesday, September 08, 2004

RNC Night 4...Finally

So I must admit that I don't have much to say about Mr. Bush's speech. Why, you ask? Well for one thing, it was almost a weak ago, and in writing about the other wonderful nights of the convention, many of my initial impressions on Bush's speech have escaped me. But mostly, I think it is because I didn't think he actually said that much. I was honestly expecting a sort of bombshell of a speech -- I really didn't think Mr. Rove would allow a convention speech in an election year such as this to be anything less. However, what I heard, was nothing more than an expanded version of the Bush stump speeches. I didn't hear much of anything new in the proposals he delivered either. In fact, much of what I heard was the same stuff I and the rest of the nation have been hearing for a while now. Calls for privatization of social security, protection for unborn children, and "traditional" marriage, as well the obligatory calls for improved health care. Calls that I simply cannot believe in good conscience after the recent 17% increase in Medicare premiums. In fact, that increase came so soon after the convention, that I feel like Bush and his team should feel a little embarrassed for even mentioning making health care more accessible.

After I watched the speech, I honestly couldn't think of any reason why it should frighten those opposed to four more years of a Bush White House. Then I realized that the reason to be frightened lied squarely in the fact that there did not appear to be anything frightening in the speech. This could mean one of two things: either there are no plans for a possible second term -- highly unlikely -- or the details of what would happen over the course of a second term are simply not appropriate for a convention (i.e. mentioning them would invariably cost W. the election), and those possibilities scare me far more than anything John Kerry has, or in all likelihood, will say. So come November 2, let us, as a nation, make a collective "flip-flop," and elect John Kerry President of the United States.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home