Upon Further Review...
Last night's debate was officially a toss up. No one has been especially defensive of what their candidate said last night, pretty much proving that not many party loyalists subconsciously think they're candidate lost. Republicans are stating with a good deal of confidence that Cheney won, and Democrats are saying the same about Edwards. The news polls immediately following the debate don't make matters much clearer. An ABC News poll found viewers declaring Cheney the winner 43% to 35%. It also found that the viewership for the debate was more Republican than Democratic 38% to 31%, possibly explaining the lean towards declaring Cheney the winner. However, a CBS News poll of uncommitted voters who watched the debate declared Edwards the winner 41% to 28%. The fact that this poll was exclusively conducted amongst uncommitted voters could be a ray of hope for the Kerry/Edwards campaign.
Other thoughts that have come to mind in the past 24 hours: I think both Cheney and Edwards succeeded in severely irritating Gwen Ifill with their "answers," or non-answers, especially when one tried to point out that the other had not really answered her question -- something that happened at least once on both side. A slightly more important and substantial realization; both Cheney's and Edwards' debate strategy seemed to be to attack their opponent relentlessly on his record. Both succeeded in doing this, but neither really had much success in defending himself. This is largely because neither man seemed very concerned with doing so. As soon as one attacked the other's record, the other responded with an attack on the other's record. What resulted, was essentially a round of "sophisticated" name calling and bickering, and this, I believe, is what prompted me to label the debate a dud. I have thought about that label a lot today, especially after reading articles, columns, or other blog posts strongly leaning to one side or the other, and largely because of the above point, I am sticking by that statement. I was hoping to come away from last night's debate -- and all debates for that matter -- with a sense that something had been made clearer, or better yet, having heard something new. I don't feel either of those happened last night. Instead, as I said last night, I heard the same claims we have all heard repeatedly over the course of this campaign, and what were more or less stump speeches chopped up to appear as answers to questions and spread out over the course of an hour and forty minutes. (I'm sure this didn't help matters any for Gwen Ifill either). This is not an impression I have heard from anyone else yet, so if anyone out their had a similar reaction, please comment.
So what affect will last night's debate have on voters? As I said last night, probably not much of one. Democrats have already offered a warm embrace to Edwards, and Republicans have done the same for Cheney. As I said before, neither man offered any new insights into what their team could do for the country, and for this reason, the affect of the debate on undecides will probably be minimal. But, for those turned off by negative campaigning and negativity in general, Edwards may have won some points with his warm smile and demeanor, and especially with his comments about the Cheney's and their love for their daughter when talking about the issue of gay marriage. In the same respect, Cheney may have actually lost some points with his blatant disrespect for many of Edwards' answers. ("Where to begin..."). At times, he seemed to almost be laughing at Edwards. But, I think Cheney may have made up for it with his hard hitting attacks, which I found to be considerably more memorable than those Edwards leveled against Cheney. In the end though, all these points seem to have balanced themselves out, and it seems this debate is already being pushed aside in anticipation of this Friday's second debate between Kerry and Bush. Hopefully it will prove more informative.
Other thoughts that have come to mind in the past 24 hours: I think both Cheney and Edwards succeeded in severely irritating Gwen Ifill with their "answers," or non-answers, especially when one tried to point out that the other had not really answered her question -- something that happened at least once on both side. A slightly more important and substantial realization; both Cheney's and Edwards' debate strategy seemed to be to attack their opponent relentlessly on his record. Both succeeded in doing this, but neither really had much success in defending himself. This is largely because neither man seemed very concerned with doing so. As soon as one attacked the other's record, the other responded with an attack on the other's record. What resulted, was essentially a round of "sophisticated" name calling and bickering, and this, I believe, is what prompted me to label the debate a dud. I have thought about that label a lot today, especially after reading articles, columns, or other blog posts strongly leaning to one side or the other, and largely because of the above point, I am sticking by that statement. I was hoping to come away from last night's debate -- and all debates for that matter -- with a sense that something had been made clearer, or better yet, having heard something new. I don't feel either of those happened last night. Instead, as I said last night, I heard the same claims we have all heard repeatedly over the course of this campaign, and what were more or less stump speeches chopped up to appear as answers to questions and spread out over the course of an hour and forty minutes. (I'm sure this didn't help matters any for Gwen Ifill either). This is not an impression I have heard from anyone else yet, so if anyone out their had a similar reaction, please comment.
So what affect will last night's debate have on voters? As I said last night, probably not much of one. Democrats have already offered a warm embrace to Edwards, and Republicans have done the same for Cheney. As I said before, neither man offered any new insights into what their team could do for the country, and for this reason, the affect of the debate on undecides will probably be minimal. But, for those turned off by negative campaigning and negativity in general, Edwards may have won some points with his warm smile and demeanor, and especially with his comments about the Cheney's and their love for their daughter when talking about the issue of gay marriage. In the same respect, Cheney may have actually lost some points with his blatant disrespect for many of Edwards' answers. ("Where to begin..."). At times, he seemed to almost be laughing at Edwards. But, I think Cheney may have made up for it with his hard hitting attacks, which I found to be considerably more memorable than those Edwards leveled against Cheney. In the end though, all these points seem to have balanced themselves out, and it seems this debate is already being pushed aside in anticipation of this Friday's second debate between Kerry and Bush. Hopefully it will prove more informative.


1 Comments:
[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonwalletsmarket.com/]louis vuitton wallets[/url][/b] Lv wallet value a number of $ a hundred roughly income. When the value in the bag will most likely be likewise cut price, it really is finest to avert purchasing the item. A Vuitton wallet reveals daily region code collectively with serial big selection. Resourceful designers will probably have totes for just about every period. Getting a bag for almost any season may very well be louis vuitton netherlands an excess of, choose a person that Lv Tote For Guys is usually used in every individuals seasons. A higher stage celeb tresses, design hair or pop celebrity and after that wishes to think about Herve Leger costume is you.
[b][url=http://www.cheapuggbootsukwebsite.co.uk/]cheap ugg boots[/url][/b] But Charney also understands that his viewers is fickle and that what selling level is effective right now will not automatically do the job tomorrow. "It's like a sexxy lady who retains telling you she's alluring," he claims. "It's nauseating." And thus the values American Apparel upholds currently will have to modify to help keep up with tomorrow..
[b][url=http://www.uggsunitedkingdom.co.uk/]www.uggsunitedkingdom.co.uk[/url][/b] Karma influences our latest lifetime in two ways. Very first, we stock karma as part of our everyday living ailments, however not all of our circumstances are karmic in source. Karma is definitely the section of our ailments that signifies unfinished organization along with other residues with the past.
[b][url=http://www.uggsoutletsite.co.uk/]www.uggsoutletsite.co.uk[/url][/b] Frequently clean up and manage your digital gear to be sure lengthy existence and uninterrupted company. This can also retain your high priced machines hunting thoroughly clean and enticing for show. If even so, your products does not perform optimally in the conclusion of the cleaning, it is actually sensible to receive it checked by an experienced technician.
[b][url=http://www.uggsunitedkingdom.co.uk/]ugg uk[/url][/b] The Fern Leaf Peony is probably the sole peony that may be much less sturdy compared to rest of the relatives. Additionally it is smaller, normally growing only 18" higher by using a plant distribute of only one to two feet. The plant is much more unusual than its relatives, with its two types Rubra Plena, and Itoba specially, frequently wanted by connoisseurs everywhere.
Post a Comment
<< Home