Saturday, October 16, 2004

Debate #3

Ok, I know this post is coming a bit late, but better late than never, right?
The final debate between Bush and Kerry wasn't exactly anything that required immediate commenting on anyway. I found it to just be more of the same things we all quickly grew accustomed to over the course of the first two debates. Kerry showed a calm, steady personality, but failed to land any real punches on Bush when the opportunities arose. Bush exhibited yet another painfully odd personality throughout, although I will admit, of three faces of George W. Bush that we saw over the course of the three debates, Wednesday night's happy, smiling, and sometimes a little giddy George W. Bush was probably the most normal. For those of you wondering, in my book, the other two include angry, stuttering, smirking, almost incompetent Bush, and angry, hyper, firey Bush. I did find it a little disturbing when Bush -- and on a couple of instances Kerry as well -- smiled and laughed when he was criticized. I feel like this might have been justifiable if the man being criticized had come back with a line totally disproving the charge against him, but I don't think either of them ever did. Instead, it was the same old "when attacked, don't respond, just make an attack of your own" technique.

My initial feeling on the debate was that maybe Kerry edged it out, and it seems like many of the post-debate polls supported that claim. Some even gave Kerry a pretty substantial win. But, it doesn't seem like the debate had much of an effect on voter's opinions, as the national polls seem to be showing a dead heat, just as they were before the debate. Needless to say, the next couple of weeks should prove very interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home